- Dough – Purchase some fresh dough from your local pizza shop or make your own. (Seriously…take a ride to the pizza shop). Or, locate a recipe for dough on the internet and spend 2 hours of your life that you will never regain…
- 1 can peeled San Marzano tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped in a food processor
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh Mozzarella sliced thin
- 3 to 4 Basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 large garlic clove finely chopped
- Misc. Pizza stone for the oven. A baking sheet will suffice but the stone makes a huge difference. Also, a pizza peel will help the transfer of the uncooked pizza to the hot stone.
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface (pizza peel) and stretch it to fit
within the boundaries for the peel or sheet.
Place pizza stone in the oven at 500 degrees allowing approx. 45 minutes to heat.
Stir in the oregano and 1 tbls of the olive oil into the tomato sauce and season with salt and pepper.
Transfer to the pizza peel and spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce on the dough. Put mozzarella on next without overlapping slices.
Drop small garlic pieces sparingly to taste and drizzle with 1 tbls olive oil, salt and pepper.
Bake until the bottom is firm and the cheese is melted, about 8 minutes. Remove
from oven and place basil leaf pieces randomly on the pizza and let stand for 3 minutes before serving.
Sign Up to be a Tasting Partner!
Enter your email below and you will be the first to know about new wines, recipes, wine articles, and new additions to the Vastewine app.